Applications are now closed.
Thanks to everyone who applied –
you’ll be hearing from us soon!
Last year’s summer apprenticeship program was a blast. Alongside three fantastic apprentices, we worked on 14 different projects, spanning branding, web design, furniture design, architectural design, and public art.The five of us learned so much together – and this year we’re doing it again.
The Apprenticeship Program
Work-Shop is super excited to offer an immersive apprenticeship program for the Summer of 2017. Students and recent graduates of colleges in Rhode Island will join our team and participate in a variety of consulting, design, and production projects. In addition to this, apprentices will propose their own project, to be completed over the course of the apprenticeship with our resources, guidance, and collaboration.
Apprentices will exercise their skills and gain hands-on experience, as well as expand the knowledge and working practices through focused design, making, and interdisciplinary collaboration.
Candidates should be currently enrolled at a college in Rhode Island, or be graduating this spring. We are seeking 2-3 apprentices and will look to formulate a diverse team with complementary and supplementary skillsets.
The position will either be full-time or part-time – based on our needs and each apprentice’s availability. The majority of the work will take place at our office in Providence and our fabrication shop in South Providence, so living near or in Providence during the summer is a must.
These are paid positions, wage commensurate with experience.
The program is 10 weeks, from June 12th – August 18th. We may be able to accomodate some flexibility in this schedule.
What you might work on
- Graphic Design
- Web Design
- Web development
- Interior Architectural Design / Interior Design
- Branding and Identity Design
- Business development and strategy
- Social programming such as workshops and events
- Contribute to the design and execution of client and internal projects
- Create models, drawings, and prototypes of ongoing work
- Assist with on-site construction and installation projects
- Research and develop a personal project
- Never get us coffees, unless you want to
Requirements + Eligibility
- Currently enrolled at, or about to graduate from a college in Rhode Island
- Graduating in either 2017 or 2018*
- Living in or near Providence, Rhode Island for the summer
- Interested in design across disciplines
- Interested in the intersection of design and making
- Self motivated, independent
- Reliable and responsible
- Interested in learning and helping others learn
*This year, we’re only accepting applications from rising and graduating seniors, and grad students.
Nice to have:
- Web development – HTML/CSS/JS
- UI/UX design
- Scripting / computation / software
- 3d modeling experience such as rhino or solid works
- Digital fabrication experience
- Woodworking / metalworking / fabrication
- Leadership/strategic development